Friday, August 6, 2010

The Last Laugh?

I certainly think of myself as the type of person who likes to lighten most situations, and with that, when my presence fills a room, my laugh is not generally far behind. Some might add that on top of my louder than average demeanor, my laugh rarely takes the back seat. I laugh loudly. Sue me.

This week, my first full work week post-trial, I had three people separately approach me about their dreams. Not terribly unusual, as most people understand my interest in digging deeper into the meaning of the subconscious in our sleeping state. But what was odd, wasn't that I was a character in each of these individuals' dreams, but that the star of the dreams...was my laugh.

I'm trying to wrap my arms around this. Each person recounted their dream in which I was laughing at others. Let me elaborate:

In the first, I was hurling my exercise ball (which I use for my chair, so this is not a small ball) towards each coworker, and then walking through the office laughing, congratulating myself with each whack. The next dream, I was dissuading a friend from getting a tattoo, and then proceeded to cut off one of her pigtails with a set of raw scissors. That, I again found hilarious, and as she was forced to cut her other pigtail off, I threw my head back in a second roar of laughter. The final dream was brought to me from an intern in my office. She dreamt of the staff and myself in the lunch room. As this girl went to join us, she could hear my cackle of laughter floating into the foyer. Instead of coming and dining with us, she turned around and ate at her desk.

What does this laugh symbolize? And why is it such a seemingly cruel laugh? It seems I'm being viewed as some sort of a bully...but I can't help but wonder why...


As a disclaimer for my Possum Hunter followers: while the trial is done, the details of the case are not those that I find acceptable nor entertaining for this forum. My jury was hung...so the case will be retried in 90 days. When a conviction is made, I might oblige in more detail for the curious at heart, like myself. But until then, bear with me.

1 comment:

FifthWheel said...

Scissors to a pigtail is terrifying.