Sunday, June 19, 2011

For My Constant and Evolving Papita

This year, it seemed my parents took to their diet even more than in years past. It's not a diet per se, but rather a healthier way of eating. More protein, fruits and veggies, less carbohydrates. In an effort to further cut carbs, my dad pledged to stop drinking beer during the work week, something he's always enjoyed around suppertime or after a good workout. Instead, he has margaritas.


When my dad told me this, it made me laugh. Margaritas in place of beer? But as I thought of it later over a pale ale of my own, it felt odd. Beer had been a staple in the Bell household for as long as I could remember. A tenet, if you will, had fluctuated, and I started to wonder if it was the end of an era.

Which got me thinking of other changes over the past year. Obviously, this beverage shift wasn't the only shift I saw take place with my father.

For one, he joined the twenty-first century and purchased an iPhone. And severely technologically challenged as he certainly is, he figured out how to play Words With Friends, an online version of Scrabble, and has been relentlessly combatting me ever since. So far, no wins. Sorry, Papita.

And as his Words With Friends screen-name (marcusgpa) suggests, he also became a grandfather and simultaneously earned himself a new nickname - The Baby Stealer. It's a never-ending battle when spending time with the newest addition to our family, Mr Marcus, but often, it's dad who ends up with the 21 lb, 8 oz prize. We'll catch him sneaking out the back door with Marcus to spend time with only him. Or he'll come home one day with a stuffed toy toolset he thought Marcus would enjoy even though my father despises shopping. He told me two weeks back, "honey, there are few things in life more special than your kids' kids." Enough said, which explains why this particular change in my father has been the most dramatic.

And of course there are other small things. He's been running less, and is notably more cautious in the things he does everyday. While in Arizona visiting, this realization set-in as we climbed Camelback Mountain. That day, watching him take extra care to secure his footing felt like quite the departure from the dad that once taught his kids that STOP meant skid tires on pavement.

But thinking about it now, it seems he's not changing, but evolving. Maybe not enough that a local ECHO volunteer or long-time patient would notice, but I have. And I suppose the only reason these evolutions even hit me in the first place, is that mostly - it's the constants that represent my dad best. In fact, there are many, many more tried-and-trues when speaking of Dan Bell.

There's the country music he claims teaches life lessons; His raggedy, mismatched socks that somehow prevail over countless stocking stuffers of brand new pairs; His sheer ferocity on water skis (I guess that's one thing he doesn't proceed with caution on); An honest appreciation and respect for the simple things in life. On my last visit, he admired the hay barrels' ability to add texture to the Arkansas countryside as he drove me to the airport; His unshakable dedication to his wife, still whisking her off to dinner dates, and pulling off epic surprise parties; His role in the community as a respected and devoted family doctor; And a sense of humor that fabricates diseases and has a propensity to repeat old jokes. He knows not to take things too seriously.

And these are just a few. As his daughter, the most notable constant in my life is his being a great role model, teacher, friend and daddy all these years. I look forward to seeing how he continues to evolve into the best dad and grandfather possible. End of the era? No, not exactly.

Happy Father's Day!

 - ILYR

No comments: