Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Dreaming Underworld

A couple weeks ago, I had the most horrifying and demented nightmare of my entire life. So horifying, in fact, that when I was snapped out of my slumber, not only had I drenched the sheets AND mattress in sweat, but I was crying. Once morning hit, I was already showing the first symptoms of getting sick (despite just getting over strep the week prior), and my classic baby dinosaur had regained residence in my throat along with a headache from hell.

Which got me to thinking about real-life effects in our waking life produced by our dreams. A simple Google search on dreams affecting reality pulled up results on, "wet dreams affecting reality," and "turning your dreams into reality," both of which didn't help substantiate my case. So, without traveling too far into this dream vortex (I was feeling sick, afterall), I'm going to toss it out to the group: can your dreams produce real effects on your body? People say if you die in your dreams, then you die in real life. I'm not sure I buy that, but what I do believe, is that our minds can pull some crazy stunts and stop us in our tracks.

It's that realization of just how complex and powerful our own minds are that makes me crazy. In my years of analyzing dreams and learning everything I can get my hands on pertaining to dreams, I truly paralyzed myself here. And not only was I paralyzed, I was unnerved with the level of darkness and downright dementia in which my mind took me. Recounting the experience to myself, I'm also ashamed that I was able to (literally) dream up something so deranged.

With that, I'll say it's gonna take a bit of encouragement to actually share the dream details with you all, so I'm requesting an extension/Part 2.

Stay tuned...if you dare. Muhhhhhhhhhahaha.

3 comments:

VBS Singer said...

Okay, this will freak you out but I dream the kind of stuff you talk about. Some of my dreams are also so demented it is shameful. Can there be a genetic link to this??? As to the dying part of it. Two nights ago I dreamed I was dying in a car crash and......I really died! That was a first for me.
Can't wait to actually analyze the dream. This is oh, so very intriguing.

JAB said...

"Real-life effects" "Drenched the sheets and the mattress" "Ashamed" Belly, don't need to read too deep into this one. We have all been there, maybe for some of us it has been quite awhile now, but you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Just remember, all you have to do is go to the bathroom right before you go to bed; problem solved.

The Possum Hunter said...

VBS Singer - I'm convinced that the dementia DEFINITELY comes from you.

James - you're just scared too. It's okay.