Sunday, February 27, 2011

Amos Lee, and the Ensuing Months of Travel

There isn't a word, or even phrase I could muscle together that verbalizes how I feel about Amos Lee. (For those of you who don't know Amos, firstly, shame on you. Still, he's a wonderful, soulful musician that I've adored for over five years.) Being an Amos survived groupie for this span, it's not short of astonishing when I listen to his earlier tracks, and watch it bring me to an exact point in my life. I can remember specific moments, conversations, shows, feelings, even outfits, which sometimes quite literally stops me in my fast-paced tracks. And the Amos-induced time travel varies. College mostly, but there's one album that hurls me into the early days of moving to the big desert city of Phoenix. It was only a few years post-University of Arkansas, but I was an entirely changed person, which is expected in your 20's, they say. The point? For somebody with a memory that can only be described as piss poor and often clinically concerning, to see music's ability to take me back to moments in my life like that - it's magnificent.

Bring on the sentimental flak, people.

And, Mr. Amos Lee has done it yet again. He released a new album, now his fourth, and being the fanatic that I am, I'm flying across the country to see him in one of the music capitals of our country - Nashville, Tennessee. I start to get fidgety when I even think about it.

Thankfully, I should have no shortage of entertainment over the next few months to keep me occupied. With March around the corner, I'm due for a visitor each weekend of the month (guest appearances by Mollie, Focker, April and Marcus (!!)), and then the contrary in April in which I'll be hopping around to a new stateside destination each weekend. Stay tuned for some sweet action.

And if you're curious about my boy - check out what's he's got to offer: http://amoslee.com/. You won't regret.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad I could introduce you to Amos. He's my idol.

The Possum Hunter said...

The jury's still out as to who techincally introduced me to Mr Amos... I'll just say that.

Glad your snowed-out show will be made up. Live - he's pure glory.

Unknown said...

i call b.s. on that...

The Possum Hunter said...

Just saying...