Friday, April 23, 2010

The Underbelly

I guess there were some pros to having the cast. And, having just had the morsel removed via cast saw, I felt it necessary to send it off in proper fashion. Note: I have since replaced the cast with a much larger, softer and air-compressionable brace. While it is removable, the below still applies:
  • Your money is no good here. When making my way through the array of dirty homeless beggars I encounter on a daily basis (at gas stations, while walking to my office, even grocery shopping), it became clear that the cast, in fact, serves as a powerful diversion factor. Once a prime target for street beggars,  my journeys these days are solicitation-free, presumably due to the homeless assumption that I have enough problems. They're right.
  • The sisterhood of the traveling boot. It should be known that women pass judgement upon each other more than any other species. I have gotten used to the "skinny bitch" looks I receive, just as oft as I emanate the "big-boobed bitch" looks right back. The cast, however, has produced a miraculous phenomenon. The looks have now produced a "you go girl," and "we're in this together" sentiment that I wholly favor.
  • Can I get that for you? Not surprisingly, any complaints, concerns and struggles can be trumped by the broken foot. This also comes in handy when items are dropped on the floor, documents are needed from the printer or beers are needed from the bar. A single glance downward towards the injury has shown to generate a plethora of favors.
A few (eight, ughhhh) more weeks in this brace, and I should be home free. To the land of the RUNNING, heel-wearing, and dirty-look receiving of the women of Phoenix.

Current research obsessions: alligators, crocodiles, killer bee escape strategies and serial killers. Go figure. 

2 comments:

JAB said...

Once you are cast/brace free, you might want to hang onto the little guy. That way when you are feeling down in the dumps you can throw that guy on and go get some free public compassion... think about it.

The Possum Hunter said...

Oh, I'm hanging onto the brace; you better believe that.

I could use all the girl power I can get these days.