Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Irrevocable Uniting of Eggs and Flour: Ari and Timothy, November 15, 2008

This past weekend, I was honored to serve as a bridesmaid for a rockin' and fantastic gal who I very much admire, the former Miss Ariel Gillcoatt.

And it was this weekend, serving as a lovely bridesmaid, that I realized that it's approaching that time in my life. The time that weddings completely take over. In fact, it may not be approaching. Could it be that it's HERE? I think - yes.

Weddings always give me a bittersweet feeling. My very cynical side wants everyone to just WAIT. Stop. Because I don't think it will last. AND, mostly...because I'M waiting. Can't these people see? Stop being such stupids. Hold up.

But at precisely the same time...why would they wait? If you think you know that you want to spend the rest of your being with somebody, why don't you start right now? That makes sense. But still - the negative inevitably beats up the meager positive. And mostly, I end up asking why. Mostly.

Fortunately for all parties involved, this particular wedding was no such case. This marriage was one that I not only didn't doubt, but was and am fully behind. This one will be rock solid. Fo' sho.

The ceremony was held at the Anthem Country Club, a city just north of Phoenix with a panoramic view of the Valley and a feeling of serenity and nature. Keeping to their shared passions, the wedding was held outside. "The joining of egg and flour," the officiary said, "to create pancakes." And so, they did.

Other than one pain-in-my-ass-bridesmaid (and believe me, she nearly ruined me), the whole deal was simply delightful. The air was thick with hope and love and a feeling of celebration, the weather was more perfect than we could have dreamed, the bride and groom couldn't have been more in love, more dazzling or more ready to devote themselves to one another, and of equal importance...the alcohol was flowing.
And it flowed. After the traditional celebratory dancing to "Shout," "Brick House" and a variety of slow dances (which I participated with Meggie in), we were red-faced and quite tipsy.

Two shots of tequilla fizz later, Meggie and I headed home... shortly after Ari and Timothy's profanity-garnished vehicle pulled away to the Arizona Biltmore for an evening we all know they've both been waiting entirely too long for (ahem, Timothy - 29 years).

As the rattling of the tin cans behind their love-mobile quieted the farther they pulled away, it made me think. Ari is pulling away. To go on a honeymoon. To come back and live in a house. With a BOY. And to share a closet with him. Share her bathroom, her milk. Wait a minute. Never again would she just be Ari. And it was at that moment that it set in. Up came the bittersweet feeling that always erupts, and so frequently sets into my stomach when I think of weddings: uncontrollable happiness... and deep sadness that things are changing.

November 15, 2008 - Ari and Timothy Borg. Two more pancakes join the rest.

This weekend, I'm heading up to Denver to help one of my long-time friends shop for her wedding dress.

I mean seriously - it just doesn't stop.

Which again, just goes to show, a girl can't get a break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so timely. I'm just writing a paper on premarital counseling for one of my classes and reading a book about the ways in which it's important to deal with all the changes that a marriage represents. And leaving and relationships changing is a huge part of that. Interesting to hear reflection from the other end of things...

I know the bittersweet feelings come, especially in light of recent events in your own life.
But are you actually saying that you are second guessing this whole idea of "I don't want to ever get married"?

Love you...