Friday, February 13, 2009

The Expulsion of the Baby Dinosaur

If there are two things I hate, it's thick necks and staying in on a Friday night. Furthermore, staying in when you've truly had a long, hard, thankless work-week. And yet, here I am in bed at 9:30pm... on Friday - fat neck and all.

My body does this peculiar cautioning act just as it's on the brink of crashing: the swelling of the throat. Those who knew me in my college days lovingly knew it as my "baby dinosaur."

It all started over 8 years ago. I endured a harsh case of mono (like literally, I was quarantined) and ever since, my throat has been my frailty. I find it both helpful and hindering when it balloons up to that baby dinosaur state. Because it's such a fine balance of collapse. And by now, I know the drill all too well: slow down, get more sleep, chug emergencee. If I don't listen, I'm a goner and slide right into uber-fat-neck-ville (the place I hate), taking on any other symptoms of whatever illness I was coming down with. However, if I listen to the neck... often behaving against my will (in this case, staying in on a Friday), I can almost always beat it and bypass being sick entirely.

On this particular Friday, the baby dinosaur swelling was so drastic, it's caused my neck line to become as nonexistent as a 300-pounder. So for vanity reasons as well, I'm here in bed, electric blanket on, sleeping it off... and pounding emergencees.

And damnit, this week was what put me in this swollen state to start out with! Both emotionally and physically, my body was overworked. The only way I got through my 13 hour days was the distant promise of a cold beverage and non-tourism conversation, preferably together. The sad fact that I'm not kicking back downtown with beer and my partner in crime Neil, makes me want to cry.

That idiotic baby dinosaur. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Soon - you'll be gone.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

sir, i'm sorry to hear that you came down with a case of "fat neck"... hope you feel better. ;) lylas, sir