Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's on the Patio - to "Health and Safety"

The evening began with complimenary valet. As we were seated, I noticed the hostess' colossal poof in her hair, almost a bouffant. I kinda dug it. As the server read us the specials, I was contemplating how I could do that to my hair when I got home.

As dinner conversation evolved, I was taken aback by this group: poised, fashionable, wealthy and yet, genuinely interested-in-my-life and curious individuals. These weren't my family members nor were they old family friends of mine. They weren't my boyfriend's parents either. They were my roomate's boyfriend's parents. Oh - and also their friends who have a second home here in Phoenix.

On our dimly lit patio, under the clear night sky, we sat beneath heat lamps in 60 degree weather and sipped bottomless chardonnay. The men drank cabernet. I'll say, the more the conversation progressed, I was eminently refreshed and just, downright fond of this company. I guess I hadn't realized how long it had been since I had conversed with such fantastic, and I'll add, caring company. And I was smiling - like a happy, glowing smile, that comes from your (horizontal) belly.

We talked about Couple Two's daughters (they had three of them): one, just married and a stylist in New York. The other two daughters lived together in San Francisco and "pay too much in rent"($3100 per month). And, we talked a bit about Couple One's golfing during their stay in Phoenix (Troon North, Grawhawk, et al). But mostly, my roomate and I did the blabbing. And mostly, both Couple One and Couple Two, demonstrated a level of authentic interest, asking surprising questions and offering their years of wisdom and experience to each story.

And in between laughs and "Health and Safety" toasts, another thing became evident to me: how happy each couple still was in their marriage. In proper Valentine's Day form, I felt touched - to be in the presence of such charming people - and to be enjoying this N-th Valentine's Day with them. Truly, an honor.It's always reasonably telling to me, meeting the parents. It surfaces why this person you've known one way is who they are. Now, I've met Bub's parents once, but briefly. And after this three hour delightful dinner, I feel I know Bub better - and I'll add, that I'm even more fond of the kid.

An enjoyable February 14 indeed and one for the record books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what meeting our parents would say about us? it certainly would explain your phobia of fat necks...

Relationships like that really do exist :) Always good to be reminded of that and to be in the company of people who are happy enough in their own situation that they can really listen and care about your life. I love meeting people like that. It's so rare.

The Possum Hunter said...

Seriously - our parents would DEFINITELY explain the fat neck phobia.