Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Dreamer Indeed

As I wind down from my walk/run in today's 1/2 marathon, and as I sip my third savory Sam Adams, (hey, I need to replenish carbs), I find my mind ambling into the past week's dream history.

Dream 1:

I'm on a trip with friends, and as we're about to depart, I decide I need to go see this somebody quickly. Somehow, it's an immediate and urgent need.

I find myself racing through the front doors of a restricted labratory. The attendant asks who I'm here to see, and I tell her. She asks if I am here to pick up something from him. I pause - realize that I am, in fact, not here to pick up anything from him - and then inform her that, yes, that's precisely why I'm here.

Once inside the lab, I'm looking for this person while trying to fit into the environment. Everything is white and it's a maze of closed doors and sanitation. I'm sneaking around, in a way, as I know my entry to this location is essentially trespassing. I round the corner, and hear the man before I even see him. It's a hissing noise, and it's coming from the small grey rat on his shoulder. It's him. This is somehow, the guy I'm here to see. And as I come into his eyesight, he keeps walking and pays no specific attention to me at all. I'm crushed.

Dream 2:

I'm moving into a new house with two of my friends, who, in the dream are unidentified and faceless, but they have the feeling of old, great friends. I'm excited about moving into this place and am exploring the new amenities the house offers. It's not a new house, but I like it. After some preliminary inspection, I decide that I would like to take the living room as my living quarters. The living room has no walls, and no privacy, but I want it anyway. In the dream, I want to be totally open.

As the girls and I are unpacking our belongings, I look around the living room (my new room) and I notice the walls. They're intricately painted, almost like a Van Gough painting. Each wall is a different and unique masterpiece. It's very odd for living room walls, but yet exquisite and beautiful. And then, just like that, I want to paint over them. I want a more "normal" living room. And I start to paint over the walls with brown and taupe wall paint.

Dream 3:

I'm in the back seat of a car and I'm holding a little boy. He's young and he's perched on my lap, burying his head into my chest. I hold him and even today in my waking life, I feel a strong love and almost maternal protecting urge for this child.

Dream 4:

I'm sitting at a board-room style table with several members of my family. I announce that I've been taking dance classes and as soon as it's out of my mouth, the announcement from around the table begins. My brother is also taking dance lessons - in hip hop. My mother is taking lessons in ballroom dance. My father is taking a country western class.

And I'm irritated and annoyed that they've all copied me.


Have the dreams taken a life of their own or am I on to something?

4 comments:

Danielle said...

sir, first of all, i'm really loving the visuals i'm getting as i read 'dream 4'! ha!

secondly, i didn't know you were planning to run the 1/2 marathon. please elaborate.

The Possum Hunter said...

Glad you like the visuals, sir. The dreams have really been vivid lately, and it's often that they stay with me all day long.

Wondering if my memory-improvement plan has accelerated the mind in some way?

There is an Alien in my belly said...

Can I just say that I LOVE hearing about your dreams?
You are such a fascinatingly complex woman!

I'm especially intrigued by the one about living in a living room - where everything is open... hmmm...

and - I think I know who the little boy is! :) I've had a few dreams like that lately as well!

The Possum Hunter said...

Yes, I think I know who the little boy is as well. And his name is.....

Just kidding. I'll wait for the unveil on Saturday. :)