Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Google: The American Reflection?

I've found a new leisure activity (like I ought to have another one) that is both pointless and fabulously telling of the American (and maybe the worldwide) society of Internet users. I think this may become a series.

It's called... Google.

I am actually well aware that it's been around for a while, but what has NOT been around for a while, is the feature in the search bar that auto-completes your searches. When one types in a question, the Google search bar will auto-correct your search with what has been the most frequently seeked out. This, I've found, can be a surprising, merry and eventful proclamation of our society. Let me provide a thrilling example:

If I were to type, "How do I get..." the below would currently pop up, in order of most frequenly googled:

...a passport
...my sister to sleep with me
...you alone lyrics
...a new social security card
...you alone
...a copy of my birth certificate
...rid of fruit flies
...farmville cash
...pregnant
...to dalaran

Now, I am proud of the first search, "How do I get a passport?" Valid. Ok.

But, the second most popular search of "How do I get my sister to sleep with me" is beyond perturbing. As is, "How do I get to Dalaran" which I learned after some shameful research, is in direct relation to an uber crazy and elite role-playing game called World of Warcraft. That's just peculiar in its own...

However, now that I'm totally jilted, I'm also equally intriqued (as is the usual), and I find myself typing other questions and phrases into Google to see what others are searching. Unfortunately, I find myself more troubled by the next search. As I type, "Why is," the below pops up in the auto-fill search bar:

...the sky blue
...my poop green (HOLY COW - WHAT???)
...Ellen not on American Idol
...it called Black Friday
...a raven like a writing desk
...yawning contagious
...my computer so slow
...pepto bismol pink
...the world going to end in 2010

I've spent much of my night trying to understand the searches of my fellow Googlers, and also trying to distinguish what makes for an educated, and a lesser-educated search. One thing I've found, is that by searching "what do U" instead of spelling out the word, makes quite the difference.

I'm interested in finding out where this obsession takes me...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

sir, i'll have you know that "how do i get my sister to sleep with me" is no longer a popular search.

"why is my poop green" is, though.

and, if you simply type "why", the top search seems to be "why do men have nipples"...

hahaha. thanks for giving me another way to waste my time. :)

The Possum Hunter said...

Sir, I'm glad the sister search is no longer a popular term.

And happy to give you an educational and entertaining way to waste your time. Super glad to oblige.